Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"Wood" You Want Termites?

     Termites are the translucent insects that are notorious for causing damage to wooden structures.  Although they mainly eat soil, grass or other kinds of wood, they eat dry wood- the wood mostly used in making houses.  They also eat paper, cloth, and carpet.
     There are different kinds of termites in a colony.  There are queens, kings (males), soldiers, and workers.  The queens are female termites that have flown, mated, and are producing eggs.  A king is a male who has mated, flown and stays with the queen.  There may be multiple pairs of mating termites.  Worker termites retrieve food for the colony, store the food, and maintain the nest.  They are responsible for the digestion of celluse (the plant matter in the 'foods' above) with special enzymes.  The soldiers, are the defense of the colony.  They have enlarged jaws, larger heads and are blind.  They use their large heads to block tunnels from intruding, use their jaws to bite at ants and shoot a 'glue' at the ants.
     Termites are social creatures that live in mounds of dirt or in nests.  The mounds provide shade in hot climates.
     As you can see, termites are amazing organisms that work together to maintain a colony-wide bond.  Maybe we can learn from their behavior.

Information courtesy of http://www.wikipedia.com/


5 comments:

  1. Wow, you sure know a lot about termites! You've included a lot of useful information in your post. I also like the fact that you have an intro and closing paragraph. I try and get my students to do that when they write. I think I will show them your post as a good example.

    The video also adds a lot to the blog post (even though I found it a bit creepy... I am not an insect fan!).

    Thanks for your post,

    Miss B
    Montmartre School

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize that termites are a lot like ants with a colony, workers, and a queen. Cool! I wonder if there are termites where I live in Las Vegas.

    Lissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! I really enjoyed all the cool facts you included.

    I especially enjoyed the information you included about the different jobs the termites have in a colony. I had no idea that the soldier termites are blind!

    Thanks for sharing what you know about termites.

    Mrs. Watson
    Sointula, BC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very impressed with the quality of your blog post. It is very well put together with lots of information presented in a variety of ways.
    You are setting a very high standard and this will be a great model for other writers.
    Thank you for your work.
    Ms Donnell, Kaipara Flats

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joseph
    Your blog is great. I like how you write well and also include pictures and videos to inform and entertain your readers.
    Well done

    Celia Coffa
    Melbourne Australia
    (where thankfully there aren't too many termites - but they are here!)

    ReplyDelete